Work has been eating into the days recently and I haven’t had a chance to post anything. I have one pending, but it isn’t ready yet. I thought I would do a quick post here in the interim. I have so many photos and recipes I’ve taken and prepared in the past weeks, but I haven’t had a chance to edit them!
Last month, I entered another recipe contest for fun. It is sponsored by Ritz and “hosted” by Guy Fieri of the Food Network. Finalists will be chosen March 28th and posted on Facebook for voting. It is a long shot, but I had fun making these up. I had just gotten a bag of frozen shrimp at Costco, so I was inspired by that purchase!
Ritz Spicy Asian Shrimp “Mock” Ceviche
8 oz. shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons minced scallions
½ teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon minced ginger
4 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
½ medium Fuji apple, julliened
1/3 cup julliened jicama
¼ teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1.4 teaspoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon soy sauce
¼ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
20 Ritz Crackers
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in shrimp. When the water starts to bubble again, remove and strain. Chill shrimp in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator and chop into small chunks. Toss with scallions, garlic, ginger, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, apple, jicama, and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine lime juice, sesame oil, yogurt, mayonnaise, salt and pepper until it is a smooth consistency. Pour over shrimp mixture and stir until it is coasted with the yogurt mixture.
- Top each Ritz Cracker with a spoonful of shrimp mixture and serve.
Makes 20 appetizers
Ritz Shrimp Toast
8 oz. raw shrimp, peeled, cleaned and deveined, chopped into pieces
½ teaspoon sesame oil
2 oz. chopped water chestnuts
¼ cup chopped scallions, reserve some green parts for garnish
1 ½ tablespoons minced ginger
About 2 egg whites
40 Ritz Crackers, divided
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Oil for frying
- Combine shrimp, salt and oil in a small bowl and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Place 10 Ritz crackers into the bowl of a food processor and process until they are fine crumbs. Transfer to a large shallow bowl, add sesame seeds, and stir until combined.
- Place shrimp into the now empty bowl of the food processor along with water chestnuts, scallions (reserving some green parts for garnish), and ginger and pulse about 10 times. Then with processor running, pour in egg whites through feeder until mixture has the consistency of a moist paste.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of shrimp paste on top of a cracker. Dip shrimp side down into cracker crumb and sesame seed mixture and set on a clean plate, cracker side down. Repeat with remaining twenty-nine crackers. Chill for a few minutes in refrigerator.
- While crackers are chilling, pour oil into a deep frying pan so that it comes up to about ½ -inch inside of pan. Heat oil until a bit of crumb sizzles when dropped in. Fry crackers shrimp side down until golden, about 1 minute. Drain on paper lined plate shrimp side down and serve immediately shrimp side up. Garnish with reserved scallions.
Makes 30 appetizers