For those of you celebrating Passover this week, here is a delicious lasagna made with matzo crackers, and a combination of smoky and regular mozzarella cheeses. If you can find the smoked type, it is definitely worth getting. The flavor is more intense and a bit more salty. I like to mix the mozarella cheeses when making this dish, as I think they complement each other nicely. Parmesan is thrown in for another layer of cheesy goodness.
The matzo crackers work well in place of lasagna pasta. You don’t have to soak them long — just 30 seconds in warm water.
This post will be short and sweet (or savory) because I am starting a new book project and have a crazy deadline!
Have a great week!
Smoky Mozzarella Matzo Lasagne
1 small eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch slices
non-stick cooking spray
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 garlic cloves minced
1 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
About 4 whole Matzo crackers
¼ lb. fresh mozzarella, coarsely grated
¼ lb. smoked mozzarella, coarsely grated
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Lay eggplant slices on top in one layer. Coat with spray again and sprinkle with salt. Roast in oven turning once for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot and sauté onions with oregano and basil until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sugar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.
- Spray an 8-by8-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix grated cheeses together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Soak matzo crackers in warm water for about 30 seconds.
- Spread 3/4 cups sauce in baking dish and top sauce with 1 drained matzo cracker. Break another matzo cracker to fill in gaps, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and half of parmesan evenly. Top with another layer of drained matzo crackers. Repeat layering with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheeses, rest of parmesan, 3/4 cups sauce and remaining matzo crackers. Finish by topping with 3/4 cups sauce and rest of mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake lasagna covered with foil, in middle of oven 30 minutes. Bake until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes more.
Makes about 4 servings.