My husband makes the best ones. You may have seen his Cadbury Egg waffles. His pancake recipe is featured in a book app I’m very excited to share with you all.
Snuggle Mountain, written by Lindsey Lane, is a wonderful story about Emma, who climbs Snuggle Mountain all by herself to wake up the Sleeping Two Headed Giant which has forgotten all about making pancakes for breakfast.
Features of the app include:
- audio narration beautifully read by a child actor (which can be turned on and off)
- words which can be highlighted as read to encourage reading
- fun sound effects and animations throughout the story
- the aforementioned pancake recipe
- some discussion topic suggestions related to the story
- turn pages with a finger swipe
I have to say, I’m really proud of this book app. Lindsey, the author, took the initiative and found a fabulous app producer, Picpocket Books, who agreed to shepherd our joint creation (originally published by Clarion Books in 2003) into the digital age, and they did a wonderful job.
One of the aspects of the app version of the book I adore is that the concept of the sleeping giant’s two heads hiding in the bed covers is made very clear with animation. In the original picture book it was quite subtle, and a lot of readers didn’t pick up on it.
Check out and download our app at the Apple itunes Store! It is currently on sale for $2.99. It is available for the ipad and will be available for the iphone in a few days. It is the perfect app for young children and gives them a personal interactive story experience.
Snuggle Mountain Pancakes
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
Non-stick spray or oil for greasing skillet
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and optional sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Beat the egg in another bowl. Add yogurt and milk and beat together. Then stir in melted butter. Add this mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients while stirring.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat on the stove. Grease skillet. Pour batter into pan when it is heated. Brown the bottom in 2 to 4 minutes, then flip and cook other side for about a minute.
- Serve immediately. Pancakes can also be kept warmed on an ovenproof plate in a 200 F oven.