This bread is a dream come true for our son. Yep, two ingredients: Ice Cream and Self-Rising flour. Mix them together and bake. How great is that? My son and husband made a vanilla loaf this afternoon, using Ben and Jerry’s Vanilla ice cream.
Verdict: Easy, tasty, and a great canvas for experimenting with different flavors!
Denis first saw the cake recipe here:
The “bread”, which has a great crumb but is not too sweet, reminds me of Japanese desserts. It would actually make a great base for this Strawberry Shortcake if you baked it in cake rounds and frosted it with whipped cream and layered with strawberries.
We are already devising plans for making it with Butter Pecan and Rocky Road ice creams.:)
2-Ingredient Ice Cream “Bread”
1 pint of ice cream (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (or 1 1/2 cups flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Soften ice cream so that it is very soft. You can speed the process up by heating it in a microwave oven for 30 seconds.
- Transfer ice cream to a bowl. Then add the flour gradually to it while stirring.
- Grease a loaf or cake pan with butter or non-stick spray (we also cut a piece of parchment and lined the bottom of the pan)
- Bake for 30-50 minutes, checking after about 25 minutes. Length of time depends on the kind of pan you use. For a loaf pan, it took about 40 minutes until it was golden on top and a skewer came out clean when poked in the center.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then cool on rack and serve!