In my newest book, Pizza Day, which will be released by my publisher Tuesday, there is a pizza recipe at the end of the story called Garden Pizza.
To win a signed and personalized copy of Pizza Day and its the companion, Soup Day, please go here!
Garden Pizza is what a little boy and his dad spend the day making using some of the ingredients that they have grown in their garden.
These are some of the vegetables that they gather:
Sadly, we don’t have a stellar garden like theirs, so I made this pizza the other night for my guys using ingredients I bought instead.
First I made the dough and let it rest and rise while I cooked the sauce.
My sauce gets its sweetness from the carrots. No sugar needed! Plus the carrots add nutrients and fiber.
After the sauce cooked down and the flavors melded together, I pureed it in a blender, just like the boy in my book!
Then when the dough was finished, I kneaded it, let it rest a bit, and rolled it out.
It was time to top! Denis and Jamie just wanted sauce and cheese.
I made mine veggie and turkey and used a cauliflower crust I had made (see recipe below), because I was doing reintroductions after the Whole 30 and hadn’t gotten to gluten yet!
Then into the oven our pizzas went.
The final product:
Garden Pizza from Pizza Day by Melissa Iwai
Non-stick spray or oil for greasing
1 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
3 cups flour, divided, plus more if needed
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
¼ chopped carrot
1 ½ tablespoons chopped garlic, about 2 cloves
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 ½ cups chopped vine-ripened tomatoes, about 3 large
¼ cup tomato paste
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together yeast, water, olive oil, and salt in another large bowl until combined. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the flour to mixture and mix together until well blended.
- Add a little bit of the leftover flour gradually (you may use half or all) until dough forms a ball.
- Sprinkle flour onto a large board or counter top, and dump out dough. Knead for 5 minutes, adding a bit of the remaining flour each time it starts to feel sticky. You want to end up with a smooth, elastic mound of dough.
- Shape dough into a large ball. Place in greased bowl and turn over to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and saute onions, carrots, garlic, salt, and herbs until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes and paste. Simmer until softened on very low heat, covered, about 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Pulse in blender or food processor to desired chunkiness.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Divide pizza dough in half, and roll each into a ball. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Lightly dust two baking sheets and a rolling pin with flour. Roll out each ball of dough into a round on each baking sheet.
- Spoon pizza sauce on top and spread onto each. Top with fresh veggies, pepperoni, cooked sausage, shredded cheese, grated parmesan cheese, goat cheese, whatever you like!
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, depending how crunchy you like your crust.
Makes 2 medium pizzas.
Gluten Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Nonstick olive oil spray
1 1/2 cups of riced cauliflower (I buy mine bagged from Trader Joe’s. You can also make your own by ricing or grating raw cauliflower), steamed for about two minutes
1 egg white or 1/2 whole egg
1 tablespoon almond meal
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare two square pieces of parchment, about 6″ x 6″. Place one square on baking sheet and spray with non stick spray; set aside.
- Mix rest of ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spoon mixture on top of prepared parchment sheet on baking tray. Flatten into a circle with a spoon.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place other square of parchment on top of crust and flip. Then peel cooked piece of paper off.
- Your crust is now ready to be topped with toppings of your choice. After topping, bake in oven for another 5 minutes.
Makes one mini pizza crust.