Over the weekend at the gym, I caught part of Giada At Home while sweating it out, and was inspired to make these mini cupcakes for an end of the year class party. But when I looked on the Food Network site later at home, I couldn’t find the recipe. So I made one up. (Later, I realized they were called “Brownie Bites” — here is the original recipe.)
I used a basic chocolate cake recipe from Une Gamine dans la Cuisine, substituting semi-sweet chocolate chips for the bittersweet chips, reducing the sugar, and substituting yogurt for the sour cream. I also added 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips to the mix.
The mini cupcakes were topped with three mini marshmallows, three chocolate chips, and a pinch of crushed Digestive Biscuit cookie (we didn’t have graham crackers).
Jamie was a great help with topping the cupcakes
These cupcakes are decadent little bites of yumminess. They are a perfect size for kids (I cringe when I think of all the wasted Magnolia Bakery cupcakes I’ve seen at birthday parties!), as well as adults who just want a taste without overindulging!
S’mores Mini Cupcakes
1 stick of butter
2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
For the topping:
about 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
about 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
3 Digestive biscuits, crushed or 2 rectangles of graham cracker, crushed
1. Line mini cupcake tin with liners. Spray pan lightly with non stick spray. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Melt butter, 2 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate, and cocoa in a pot over simmering water until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar and vanilla. When the chocolate mixture is cooled, add to egg mixture and stir until incorporated.
5. Sift 1/3 of flour mixture into chocolate/egg mixture. Then add 1/2 of the yogurt and stir. Sift 1/3 more of the flour, add remaining yogurt and Stir. Then sift last of flour and add to mixture.
6. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Spoon batter (it will be thick) into mini cupcake liners. Top each with 3 semi sweet chocolate chips, three mini marshmallows, and a sprinkle of the crushed Digestive Biscuit or graham cracker crumbs.
7. Bake for 15 minutes; test with a toothpick. Cupcakes are done when it comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to a cooling rack and let cool. Marshmallows will harden slightly. Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
Makes about 36 mini cupcakes.