I procrastinated today and instead of doing my work, I did some experimenting and cooking in the kitchen! We had a frozen pie crust I needed to use (it kept threatening to fall out of the freezer in an annoying way), so I decided to make a quiche. I try to keep my processed foods on the low side (with the occasional lapse of salty snacks that sometimes make their way in our house…). So I made one quiche with the Pilsbury pie crust and one quiche for myself with cauliflower crust (my husband and son hate cauliflower, so that’s why there was no sharing).
I based the filling on this Cooking Light recipe. I doubled it because I was making two quiches. The recipe below is for one quiche. I used onion instead of shallot since that’s what we had. I lessened the oil to 1/2 tablespoon, used only half of the zucchini, and added parmesan cheese. The results were yummy! This quiche is also gluten free. :)
Low Carb Cauliflower Crust Bacon Zucchini Quiche
1/2 head cauliflower, about 18 oz., chopped
6 tablespoons liquid egg whites (or 2 whites)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 small zucchini, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
9 tablespoons liquid egg whites (or 3 whites)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 1/2 oz. shredded part skim mozzarella (about 1/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray pie pan with non-stick spray. Set aside
2. Finely process cauliflower in food processor. Transfer to a bowl, cover with saran, and steam in microwave for 4 minutes.
3. Mix cooked cauliflower, 6 tablespoons egg whites, salt and pepper, and almond meal together in the bowl. Pour into the pie pan and shape crust with a spoon, pushing sides up the edges.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn heat down to 350 degrees.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet, add onion, zucchini, thyme, salt, and pepper and saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened. Let cool a bit.
6. Beat eggs, egg whites, milk, parmesan cheese, and bacon together in a bowl. Set aside.
7. Spoon cooked onion and zucchini mixture into cauliflower crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
Then pour egg/bacon mixture on top.
8. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until center is set.